NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

NEWS.am STYLE

Royal family responds to Prince Harry's statements to stop funding

13:37, June 25

The royal family reacted to Prince Harry's claims in a March interview with Oprah Winfrey that the family literally cut him off financially in the first quarter of 2020.

Harry also said during the conversation that he has what his mother Princess Diana left him - £ 7 million. His contracts with Netflix and Spotify also helped him stay afloat and keep his family safe.

And now the financial statements of the royal family for 2020-2021 have been published.

A senior Clarence House spokesperson said: "As we'll all remember in January 2020 when the duke and duchess announced that they were going to move away from the working royal family, the duke said that they would work towards becoming financially independent.

"The Prince of Wales allocated a substantial sum to support them with this transition.

"That funding ceased in the summer of last year. The couple are now financially independent."

Answering the question about inconsistencies in the words of the Duke, the spokesman said: "I wouldn't acknowledge that they are dramatically different. All I can tell you are the facts."

A spokeperson for the Sussexes told reporters: "You are conflating two different timelines and it's inaccurate to suggest that there's a contradiction.

"The duke's comments during the Oprah interview were in reference to the first quarter of the fiscal reporting period in the UK, which starts annually in April."

Harry and Meghan's public duties, as well as some private expenses, were mainly financed by the Prince of Wales from his personal income of the Duchy of Cornwall, which is £ 22 million a year - not from taxpayers, but from money that Charles receives because of his position as heir families. And this despite the fact that the relationship between Harry and Charles, frankly, is not the warmest.

Taxpayers paid for the couple's official travel and some of their office expenses, as well as an undisclosed amount for their safety when they were royals working full time.

The annual report also includes a £ 2.4 million payment from Sussex to reimburse expenses incurred to renovate Frogmore Cottage, much of which was recognized as income for the year.

Clarence House's annual survey found that the cost of operating all princes and transfers to reserves in 2020-2021 was £ 4.452 million, down 21% from 2019-2020. Charles' annual income from the Duchy of Cornwall fell to £ 20.4 million, down £ 1.8 million, or 8%.

Photo: Getty Images


Follow NEWS.am STYLE on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram





  • Related News



@NEWSam_STYLE

  • Archive
Search